Hardwar Download + Description (CTD fix, 12/29/08)

Hardwar is an open-ended flying game by Gremlin Interactive Ltd. and The Software Refinery Ltd.
There is no point to it, however it can be a good laugh for Multiplayer purposes, especially when you start hiring NPCs to do dirty work for you and purchase your own buildings, which can manufacture and sell goods, weapons, or even ships if you like.
This was available for free download at the-underdogs.org. It was a demo, however there was an official patch that upgraded it to the full game, and I have since taken the liberty of patching the game with both official and community patches. If you're looking for something new to try out with other 88 Flak players, give this a shot.
Sonic28

Post by Sonic28 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:34 pm

this map brings me crazy XDDd i fon't know how to do shit in it Xd maybe wel will all join sometime and fox is going to show us on our way

Dojutrek
In-Game Name: Dojutrek
Favorite Ship: Hell If I know...

Post by Dojutrek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:37 pm

fox Unit 01 wrote:Updated with a slightly more useful readme. Anyone feel like trying this over the interwebs?
Well, I can't play with the Enhanced extentions or my game and comp would lag to near death due to the amount of NPC's around Psycho Bob's.

Sonic28

Post by Sonic28 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:41 pm

i would try..however i don't know what extension you talk about..i only got the uMC

fox
Yay Pink! (it's badass)
In-Game Name: foxBoxInc
Favorite Ship: fox's Diablo (LF)

Post by fox » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Dojutrek wrote:
fox Unit 01 wrote:Updated with a slightly more useful readme. Anyone feel like trying this over the interwebs?
Well, I can't play with the Enhanced extentions or my game and comp would lag to near death due to the amount of NPC's around Psycho Bob's.
I only get the usual que of maybe 1 or 2 NPCs around Psycho Bob's... The insane ques are what I got when I tested the latest Econmod Enhanced from Max, however what's included with the install (provided you do a fresh install) shouldn't suffer from any of these issues. Please note that if you have any of the files (econmod.dll, etc.) from the newer Enhanced, this will create problems. Again, I'd back up your files, delete 'em, and try a clean install off the installer.

I'm pleased to say that M0tah and I had what must've been a roughly 4 hour play session last night, and to my pleasant surprise we did not run into any issues (the last time I tried to play Hardwar for extended periods of time with someone else, there were crashes galore). It was quite a bit of fun, so we should definitely try to get some games going with this little gem.
Oldschool.

Dojutrek

Post by Dojutrek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm using my CD install and just installing your versions of the HWE from your download. I'm still getting the problems, but maybe I just need to use the download version and be done with it.

Oh and the music is all on the CD, I'm going to try to rip the files and attempt to reassemble them in a for the Download version.

fox
Yay Pink! (it's badass)

Post by fox » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:44 pm

You'll probably end up with the same files if you use the downloaded version versus the CD install version - I'm pretty sure, from what I've read on the community forums, that the only difference between a CD install and Demo > Patch install is that you don't have any of the movies or music.

Personally, I'd prefer to exclude the music and movies from the downloaded version, as that would really beef up filesize; however, I'm not entirely closed to offering that sort of media as a seperate download (similarly to how 88 Flak is spliced up with the core download and soundtrack download), provided it's not overly huge.
Oldschool.

Dojutrek

Post by Dojutrek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:04 pm

fox Unit 01 wrote:Personally, I'd prefer to exclude the music and movies from the downloaded version, as that would really beef up filesize; however, I'm not entirely closed to offering that sort of media as a seperate download (similarly to how 88 Flak is spliced up with the core download and soundtrack download), provided it's not overly huge.
That's what I was thinking. Something optional for the players who just want that extra bit of ambiance.

The movies might be a bit of a problem since I don't know what is what on the CD, so some research on that end is in order. As for the Music, it's all just audio tracks on the CD and that shouldn't be too hard to extract and add, unless there is a CD check involved (then I'll have to make a cut down version of the CD).

Edit: I've tried making a cut down CD image of just the music (mounting said image to a V. Drive), changing source the paths (to point to said drive), dragging and dropping the music files into the install folder, and using my Hardwar CD. All of these failed to produce any result other then silence.

I'm thinking that since it's based off of a demo it might not recognize the files on the CD so it just doesn't use them. In the end, I'm stumped.

M0tah
Forum Administrator
Favorite Ship: Pursuit Banshee

Post by M0tah » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 pm

You could just make a regular audio CD ISO with the music...I'm using the install based off the demo and it will play audio CDs just fine. You just have to check the Music (Audio CD) box under the Audio tab.
[img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3442/thedeathofaroguebtx2.jpg[/img]

fox
Yay Pink! (it's badass)

Post by fox » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Yeah, I think Hardwar is hard-coded to read from a CD drive for the CD Audio.
Oldschool.

Dojutrek

Post by Dojutrek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Well, I figured out why it didn't work. It CANNOT be a virtual drive, it MUST be a physical disc and if not it just doesn't read it.

Funny, it didn't work before with my Physical Hardwar CD in the drive and now it does. Maybe a conflict from my original install, but I'll get a copy out to you guys ASAP. Oh and the game is two discs so it might be quite large.
M0tah wrote:You could just make a regular audio CD ISO with the music...I'm using the install based off the demo and it will play audio CDs just fine. You just have to check the Music (Audio CD) box under the Audio tab.
The problem with that is it's a Mixed Data CD. So it contains both Audio CD and Data CD properties, but I'm going to try to strip out all of the Data (On track 1) to make a Dummy that probably won't get read.

Edit: Well, I've made a Image with the Movie and Music files intact. The total download size is 473mb, but I'm guessing that might be unacceptable so I'm going to cut it down.

fox
Yay Pink! (it's badass)

Post by fox » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Uploaded a new install. I tossed Max's Enhanced patch in favor of stability - only things lost here were a cool, yet buggy, dynamic economy and changes to the HUD which don't show up in Multiplayer anyways.

In its place, I have developed my own patch to rebalance several aspects of Hardwar, namely the Cells (power supplies), Engines, Cargo Pods, and finally Ships, using a nifty utility developed by Hardwar community member Ouch.

This will, unfortunately, require any savegames to be restarted, as they will not be compatible with the changes. Considering that this version of the Hardwar install is pretty rock-solid stable, I don't see it changing anytime soon. KillerJaguar, if you wouldn't mind updating your server (provided you're still running it) to this version, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. =D
Oldschool.

KillerJaguar
In-Game Name: KillerJaguar

Post by KillerJaguar » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:23 pm

fox Unit 01 wrote:KillerJaguar, if you wouldn't mind updating your server (provided you're still running it) to this version, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. =D
Okay updated. I hope people decide to play on my server. Also, I would like it if Jay could host it along with Flak, if he wants to.

Edit: After doing some more play testing on my server, I found that whenever I pressed F7, I would crash to desktop, and then find my character dead.
Four people found

theshadow
24/7 Server Operator

Post by theshadow » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:15 pm

ok, I've been trying to get hardwar up and running(on the net), but I can't access it over the internet. So I was wondering how I need to set it up to get it working.
edit* problem solved.
Last edited by theshadow on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player Names
Jay_01
Jay_02
Jay_03
<Duct_Tape>_XD
Oldest RC on hand is 42!

M0tah
Forum Administrator
Favorite Ship: Pursuit Banshee

Post by M0tah » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:54 pm

I can connect to your server. It seems to be working alright for me.
[img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3442/thedeathofaroguebtx2.jpg[/img]

theshadow
24/7 Server Operator

Post by theshadow » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 pm

ok found out which port i needed to forward it's 47624.
so I'll be setting up a server. to access it you can enter freelancer.servegame.org insead of the ip. It should be up and running in about 2 to 3 hours.

2. "Re: Need Help With New server"
In response to message #1
Hardwar uses DirectPlay ports, using the DirectX7 method. That means it needs port 47624 for the initial negotiation, then port 2300(TCP) and port 2350(UDP) for the first connection, port 2301(TCP) and port 2351(UDP) for the 2nd connection, etc.

stoped server due to inactivitiy and pssible increase in lag to Flak server.
Player Names
Jay_01
Jay_02
Jay_03
<Duct_Tape>_XD
Oldest RC on hand is 42!