FTL Jump FLHook

Made playable material for 88 Flak that you want to share with others? Post it here!
kosacid

FTL Jump FLHook

Post by kosacid » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 am

basically its a beam for players to use
but what I'm trying to do is use the beam command
with a timer so the player has to wait 10 min per jump
and the way I'm trying to do it is not to a base but chords
the player enters and not to a base

a alternative to that would be to edit the player position in the saved game
and kick them so when they come back they will be there

and it will have to be certin ships that can do it not them all
a list added to hook.ini would be nice and sysems so the players cant beam to admin lol
so where do i start and what would be best to work on the save player
file or the beam command

Sona
In-Game Name: Sona
Favorite Ship: Luxury Liner

Post by Sona » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:51 am

well, ive been thinking about a nice alternative for player jumping. instead o f beaming, your ship is transported to the middle of the system, near the sun. by the sun (or somewhere in the middle) of every system, an invisible jump hold is placed. (that is locked so if a player manages to select it they cant use it) also in every system near the same place as the playerdocking bases their is a jump hole to every other system. pretty much all flhook has to do is transport and dock you into the correct jump hole to jump to the correct system. (like it does when you undock from a battleship thats far away.)

thoughts?

kosacid

Post by kosacid » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:34 pm

that sounds good but how about adding jump cords basically like the bs docking use that but allow players to set the chords basically the player puts in /jump BR07_ftl 2000,2000
basically say the jh at 0,0 when you jump through it will place you at 2000,2000 just how the bs mobile proxy works
but more simple
but you will still have to set a timer for it
and specify the ships that can do it

the jh all ready have the code for players positions in it you can just use that

Sona

Post by Sona » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:13 pm

well, thats not how the proxy works. (i think) it needs some unit to jump to as far as i know.

kosacid

Post by kosacid » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:47 am

i know the proxy works buy docking you on it then the launch chords are set by the players ship
but what im saying is the player directly puts them chords in him self
insted of using anothere players chords the only thing im not sure of how it will react to coming out of a jh insted i know with jh you can set the players position when they come out
ill try to explain
in common.dll it set the chords when you come out a jh where the players going to end up basicly get hook to inject the chords into it just for that jump then you will end up there
but like im saying i dont know how it will react to it but i think going through a jh is like a f1

fox
Yay Pink! (it's badass)
In-Game Name: foxBoxInc
Favorite Ship: fox's Diablo (LF)

Post by fox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:09 am

There are two problems with allowing players to manually set coordinates:

A) Most players won't know where exactly certain coordinates will put them. Freelancer's in-game map has no markings on it whatsoever, so unless you've done any sort of system modding before, it will be tough to know where coordinates like 15000, 0, 12000 will place you in a system - to the untrained eye, those seem like pretty far out coordinates, but in reality that would only be about 20km from the sun. This isn't that big of a deal, as people would eventually get the hang of jump coordinates, and some basic geometry could calculate wherever you need to jump to.

B) This would also allow someone who knew what they were doing to place themselves inside objects - and doing this can cause oddities to occur. Sometimes, you're simply stuck and can't get out; other times you'll be able to fire at passing ships without them being able to fire back.

That aside, it is a rather novel idea. Doing some math to figure out where the hell your ship is going to actually exit the jump could be kinda neat. I'm not sure exactly where this would fit in balance-wise though.
Oldschool.

mapoubelle

Post by mapoubelle » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Maybe if Player Docking allowed it you could make it so only BS's could do it.
This would of course require another nerf.
[img]http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/bobbythejames/mapoubelle.png[/img]

Outsider

Post by Outsider » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:06 pm

A problem I see with FTL travel is that it would make trading waaaaaaaaay too easy. If you can jump from system to system in a snap, it's easy to load up on Cardamine at Planet Malta, then beam over to Manhatten and sell for a huge profit. >_>
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/me233/Knightsigfullb.jpg[/img]
zomg, only one image nao!

Sona

Post by Sona » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:09 pm

well then obviously trading ships would not get the ability for he FTL jump.

Outsider

Post by Outsider » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:27 pm

sona1111 wrote:well then obviously trading ships would not get the ability for he FTL jump.
If FTL jumping is limited to Battleships, what is preventing a bunch of people to dock with the BShip, then have it warp to another system?

Either that, or is FTL jumping intra-system only?
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/me233/Knightsigfullb.jpg[/img]
zomg, only one image nao!

kosacid

Post by kosacid » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:48 am

basically a timer of like 10 minutes per jump would stop them but hey it add
more of a enhancement to the game if they want to trade like that why not
and the traders cant dock on the bs ships anyways

Sona

Post by Sona » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:35 am

well of the possible combinations, i dont think any ship should have the player docking+the FTL jump, because not only would that be cheap for trading, but i am pretty sure it would completely screw up the docking code anyway.

kosacid

Post by kosacid » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:18 am

Ive got the ships to jump to chords on the system but i cant find a way to
get the ship to transport to another system using a jump hole I'm looking for a beam command to a jump hole dunno if it possable

Bubb9

Post by Bubb9 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:38 am

No this would not be a good idea.
[img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/764/ai3uw3.png[/img]

fox
Yay Pink! (it's badass)
In-Game Name: foxBoxInc
Favorite Ship: fox's Diablo (LF)

Post by fox » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:27 am

kosacid wrote:Ive got the ships to jump to chords on the system but i cant find a way to
get the ship to transport to another system using a jump hole I'm looking for a beam command to a jump hole dunno if it possable
That should be possible - Currently, there is a .instantdock command that can be used on both bases and jumpgates/holes, and is what the mobile dock uses to instantly toss you in a jumphole - I'd look at the source under that command and see if that helps.
Bubb9 wrote:No this would not be a good idea.
I don't think I'd be implementing this in 88 Flak, simply because I don't really see how it could fit into the balance - however, that shouldn't stop us from helping someone figure out how to code something.
Oldschool.